Monday, March 21, 2011

I RAN!!!

For the first time in AGES I finally heard that little voice in me - the slacker decided to speak up at long last (he must have been on vacation?). So I dusted off the ol' runnin' sneaks yesterday and took to the streets of Parlin, NJ. The stars must have all been aligned and jupiter was in line with the sun. Or maybe it was the loaded fries and fried chicken I had at lunch, combined with the fact that I can't fit into my "fat" jeans anymore. Whatever. All that is irrelevant. Because not only did I get on the sneakers, get out and attempt to run, but I did it well. Shockingly, I felt good the entire time. I don't think I've run - really and truly gone on a run - since last frickin MAY when I was 6 months pregnant. So going into this run yesterday, I thought I'd be lucky to survive 20 minutes without walking. I ended up doing a half hour, complete with some sizable hills, at a pretty decent pace! I ignored the aches and twinges... all the little things that are your body's way of saying "gee, haven't done this in a while" and just pressed on. I'm hoping that this is the start of me getting back to my old self again.

With my hubs now working nights, I have a small window of opportunity for any sort of "me" time (aka exercise). If you suggest mornings before I have to be at work by 7:30, I will punch you. Remember - I have two restless little boys in my house whose every move is amplified at my bedside by two static-producing monitors. And I'm still nursing the little guy on-demand 2-3 times/night. Anyway, I leave work in the afternoon between 3:30 and 4, get home by 4:30... the hubs is out the door by 5:30. So if I were to squeeze in a half hour run a few times a week, I'd have to work it out so that I come straight home at 3:30 (no trying to get in a few last-minute tasks after slacking off most of the day on insert-social-media-site-name here), nurse the baby and then go right out the front door for my run. If any part of that plan gets held up for even a few minutes, it will be game over - no running. So yes it's a lot of pressure but you know what? I can't continue on the way I've been. Something's gotta change. Happy spring. I'm a runner again!

3 comments:

  1. YAY!!! She's baaaaaaaaaaaackkk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I am determined to post here and hold myself accountable. Charlie - hopefully it won't be long til I see you out on the trails or in some road races again!

    ReplyDelete